Fellow Hornets – help us cheer on Nathan Deyak as he heads to the state level National Geographic Bee at the University of Northern Iowa! Go Nathan!
The state level National Geographic Bee is held tomorrow, Friday March 27th at UNI. State champions will advance to a National Bee competition held in Washington D.C.
Students are selected through a series of geography bee tests administered at Horn. The first exams, taken in the fall, determine which students will participate in the Horn level Geographic Bee, in which Nathan was the winner. Nathan then qualified for the state level Bee through his performance on an additional written exam.
From the National Geographic Bee letters:
How would you fare as a Bee contestant?
At the school Bees this year, students had to answer such questions as:
- Six-time Super Bowl champions, the Pittsburgh Steelers, play football near the source of the Ohio River in which state—Alabama or Pennsylvania?
- Balboa Park, with more than ten museums, performing arts centers, and gardens, is located in which southern California city?
- Taylor Swift performed songs from her album Red last summer in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of which Asian country that borders the South China Sea?
- Disney’s blockbuster movie Frozen is set in the fictional land of Arendelle, which was largely inspired by the country of Norway. Norway is located on which European peninsula?
* Scroll down for the answers!
2. San Diego
4. Scandinavian Peninsula